Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Friday, April 22

The Voice

Last night, in that black hole of 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. I thought about Hannah Huston and her place on The Voice, thought about what a great voice she has, thought about a song she might sing that would wow us viewers. In my head, I wrote the whole damn letter I would send to Pharrell to see what he thought of my idea. So this morning I wrote it and sent it via Facebook to Pharrell. Now I hope he gets it and takes my recommendation to heart. Here's what I said: I’d like to recommend a song for Hannah Huston, the Gershwins’ “Someone to Watch Over Me.” It would need to be sung with the intro, since the backstory is important for an understanding of the song. The intro should be sung a cappella and without any runs, just Hannah in a pin spot, no screams from the audience, no waving anemone arms down front, long hold on “lamb” at the end of the intro. Then cue strings and into “There’s a somebody . . .” This could be a career-defining performance for Hannah. Think back to American Idol with Fantasia’s “Summertime,” or Katharine McPhee’s “Over the Rainbow.” Think also of Sinatra’s “One for My Baby” from Young at Heart, or Whitney Houston’s super version of “The Star Spangled Banner,” or Lady Gaga’s really lush version of “Lush Life” on the Tony Bennett special. Would a Gershwin standard work for a modern audience? It’s called The Great American Songbook for good reason. Would Hannah be up for it? I think so. If she sings it the way I suggest, she’d have us all in the palm of her voice. And her life might never be the same.

No comments:

Blog Archive