Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Wednesday, November 22

Carnivals in the Past

         Before the written word, the past had to be preserved by assigning its details to a tribesman (or woman) who became the repository for the tribe’s history. And he (or she) would pass on that memorized history to a younger successor. This system was awkward and prone to the sort of errors we used to see in the children’s game of “Pass It On.” You remember how different the word or phrase was when it finally got to the last person in line? Only when these memories could be written down did we have a nearly flawless system for preserving the past.
          I was born and raised in Mobridge, South Dakota, a small, rural, farming and railroad community near the banks of the Missouri River, so my most vivid memories are there from my first seventeen years. If I don’t commit them to paper, they’ll slip away and vanish along with me when I die.
          As an exercise in memory, I’m going to recreate what I remember about the carnivals that came to town over Fourth of July celebrations, either a combination of all those carnivals or maybe just the one when I was twelve or thirteen.
          In the 1940’s, the carnival was set up on the south end of Main Street.  Its boundaries were the railroad tracks to the south, the Mobridge Wholesale House to the east, the White Horse Hotel to the west, and the Moose Club to the north. The Tilt-a-Whirl was always the first thing you bumped into when you approached from the north. It was about even with the Moose Club. What an evil ride it was. Young people today would laugh at me for calling it evil because they’re more accustomed to much more frightening rides now. I remember it as evil because I’d be called a sissy if I didn’t ride, so I did . . . and hated it every time. As I remember it, there were nine cars, each holding three or four people. You got in, pulled down the retaining bar for holding you in and for you to hold onto, and away you’d go, each car independently spinning in various directions as the whole ride whirled around. The severity of the spins depended on the combined weight of the riders in each car, the more of you there were, the more awful the ride. I think I closed my eyes during most of the ride and I hazily remember the pain in my upper leg when I’d be pinned to the side of a fellow rider. All I ever wanted to do was somehow get off without falling down dizzy or throwing up the hot dog I’d just eaten, the hot dog I’d just bought at the stand near the White Horse that also sold cotton candy. But I was wise enough never to eat any cotton candy before my potentially regurgitating ride on the evil, painful Tilt-a-Whirl.
          Close to this ride was the Penny Pitch, a flat, square board close to the ground, roped off, maybe six by six feet with small painted squares designating how much you could win if you landed on the square without touching the line. As I remembered it, you could win amounts up to a dollar. Did you win very often? No. I remember going there with both pockets full of the Indian head pennies my older brothers had been saving. I pitched both pockets empty without winning much, but the young woman running the game very carefully pocketed all my Indian heads, my brothers’ pennies. I wonder how much they’d be worth today.
          The middle of the carnival grounds held most of the arcade games, side by side along the north and south borders—a balloon pop where you threw darts at blown-up balloons hanging on the back wall, the baseball toss where you threw baseballs at a wall with fringed dolls sitting on shelves, a nickel pitch where you tried to get a nickel to stay in one of the pieces of glassware you could win (almost impossible to make the nickel stay in the vase or dish, and why would anyone, let alone a twelve-year-old boy, want to win some cheap glassware?), the basketball free throw, and the stand-alone challenge where you tried to ring the bell with a sledge hammer (and the guy running it would also try to guess your weight). One of my favorites was the crane you operated with a round handle that you turned to move the crane into position above various small stuffed animals or above that tempting tray of dimes. You then dropped the crane and hoped the metal jaws would grab an animal or a jawful of dimes. Then you carefully lifted the crane and navigated your bounty to the exit chute where you would drop your prize. Most often, though, the crane never latched onto anything or you dropped your prize before you got it to the chute.

          I remember only three rides besides the Tilt-a-Wheel—the Merry-go-round on the west side, the Ferris Wheel somewhere in the middle, and the swings on the east side near the wholesale house. I never rode on the swings because they looked so dangerous, just you strapped in a little seat attached to a long chain attached to a big metal ring that whizzed around in a circle, swinging the riders way out and around. I always imagined the chain snapping and sending the rider in a long toss like a stone out of a slingshot. No thanks.
          Somewhere near the east side, they always had a long trailer called the Fun House or the House of Mirrors. It couldn’t have been very scary because the trip from one end to the other, even though divided into narrow, back and forth passageways, couldn’t have been more than fifty feet. But you went through it in semi-darkness with warped mirrors along the way to show you as really short or tall, skinny or fat. I don’t remember any other little tricks there were along the way, but I suppose there was eerie music and screams piped in.
          And, finally, somewhere near the back of the grounds there would be a tent housing the freak show. The carny barker would announce each show about every half hour. “Step right up! Step right up! Come on in and see some of the strangest things you’ve ever seen! We got the bearded lady, the fattest lady in the world, the tattooed man, the man who lies on a bed of nails, the snake lady. She walks, she talks, she crawls on her belly like a snake! All kindsa freaks and geeks! Next show in ten minutes and all of for just a quarter, one skinny fourth of a dollar!” I don’t think I ever went into this tent, maybe because they had an age limit. I just don’t remember anything but the opening spiel.
          Sometime in the 50’s the carnival was moved and set up near the rodeo grounds. I don’t know why. Maybe some people complained about the congestion on Main Street and the mess that was always left behind. But the sights, the sounds, the smells of those carnivals on lower Main are etched in my memory, frozen there by my putting them down on paper. What are your carnival memories? Some probably the same as mine, some different. Just let your mind wander back to that time in your youth and see what’s there.

No comments:

Blog Archive