Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Friday, August 31

Doves


I’ve already mentioned the female dove that exemplified the possibility of instinct being a shallow sort of reasoning. But now I have more to say about doves. We have many doves in our yard, probably because of the high, protective arbor vitae hedge on our back property line where they roost at night
In and around Sun City West there are three kinds of doves: Inca doves, small with faint orange coloring on the wings; mourning doves, medium sized and nearly entirely gray; and white-wing doves, nearly as large as a pigeon and with the characteristic white feathers on the outside of their wings.  They’re an innocuous bunch but not my favorites.  Not that I dislike them.   They strike me as the idiot children among birds.  And if not the stupidest, at least the horniest.
They don’t seem to have a particular mating season.  They mate all year long.  All day long the males will chase after the females and the females invariably play hard to get.  Until, that is, they decide it’s time to give in.  Then they coo and kiss and do a little hugging before the old guy has his way with her.
This morning I watched four of them do some kind of four-way dance.  At least it looked like a dance.  If they were having sex then it must have been from positions I didn’t think were possible.  They were in a tight little cluster, head to head with wings fanning.  I envisioned it as a dove love fest, or maybe a big bird gang bang.  They carried on this way for at least five minutes.  Then a couple of male quail charged them and broke it up.  I guess the quail must be the avian morality guardians.
Dove family life is also peculiar. They don’t seem to have any marital bonds or obligations, the males and females.  Once the bang is over, the male goes his way and she goes hers.  And where she goes is to build a nest of twigs where she lays two or three eggs.  Does he help?  No.  Does he stick around to help with the offspring’s upbringing or to see how his progeny turn out?  No.
A few days ago I noticed the mother dove was up and sort of giving the two little (now rather large) children a tidying up.  I thought maybe this would be the day they’d take off and I wanted to see it.  I went in the house for just a moment and when I came back, they were already gone.  I had wanted to see how Mom acted when she shoved the babies out of her stick nest.  Would she stay with them, sort of watch over them for a while?  Would they be able to fly right off the bat?  I know baby quail can fly right out of the egg but I wasn’t sure about doves.  Did she give them pecks on the cheeks and say goodbye?  Some birds have babies that are recognizably babies trailing along after the parent—quail, robins, blackbirds, to name only a few.  But some seem to be as big as adults when they leave home.  Have you ever seen a baby sparrow?  I think not.  And the doves seem to be the same.  I’ve never seen a dove that looked like a baby or adolescent having to be fed by a mother or father.  One of life’s mysteries.
About a month later, I noticed a dove sitting in the stick nest.  And a male also flew up there next to her.  Was it the same female going to give it another go?  Or was it a new couple out looking for a place to rent?  I could almost hear her saying to him, “I dunno, Harry, it just doesn’t feel right.  And I just hate the drapes.  I think we should keep looking.”  So they did, both flying off to look at other properties. But then, only a few days later, I noticed a Harryless female dove was back, this time apparently to take occupancy.  What a silly bird.  If this is the same dove that just raised two little ones and then led them away, then she must have gotten banged shortly thereafter and now finds herself pregnant again.  What a silly bird. She sounds much too much like too many humans I know.

No comments:

Blog Archive