Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Wednesday, November 18

Get Even Songs

I've been thinking about that old chestnut of popular music, unrequited love. More than half of all songs must be devoted to this category. But there's a sub-category given over to the idea of "getting even." The first that comes to mind is that sixty-year-old standard by Gloria DeHaven (Remember her? Remember that sexy little beauty mark she had on the right side of her upper lip?) called "Who's Sorry Now?"

"Who's sorry now?/Who's sorry now?/Whose heart is aching for breaking each vow?/Who's sad and blue?/Who's crying too,/Just like I cried over you?/Right to the end/Just like a friend,/I tried to warn you somehow./You had your way./Now you must pay./I'm glad that you're sorry now."

Another one is the oldy but goody, "Goody, Goody."

"So you met someone who set you back on your heels./Goody, goody./So you met someone and now you know how it feels./Goody, goody./So you gave him your heart too,/Just as I gave mine to you./And he broke it in little pieces./Now, how do you do?/So you lie awake just singing the blues all night./Goody, goody./So you think that love's a barrel of dynamite./Hooray and hallelujah,/You had it comin' to ya./Goody, goody for him./Goody, goody for you./I hope you're satisfied, you rascal you."

But the bitterest of the bitter, the epitome of this sub-category, has to be Tony Bennett's "I Wanna Be Around."

"I wanna be around/To pick up the pieces/When somebody breaks your heart,/Some somebody twice as smart as I./A somebody who/Will swear to be true/As you used to do with me./Who'll leave you to learn that mis'ry loves company,/Wait and see./I wanna be around/To see how he does it/When he breaks your heart to bits./Let's see if the puzzle fits/So fine./And that's when I'll discover/That revenge is sweet/As I sit here applauding/From a front-row seat/When somebody breaks your heart/Like you broke mine."

Ah the pain of sweet revenge. If anyone can think of others like this, please let me know.

No comments:

Blog Archive