Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Friday, October 28

50/50

I read a lot of movie reviews, some I trust, some I don’t, some I agree with, some I don’t. Mostly, I use one criterion for determining the gold from the dross—how long I remember the film. As simple as that. I realize that some movies are really gory and might be memorable for the gore without being a great film. I’m reminded of the Halloween series or the yucky films about Jason or Freddy Kreuger--memorable, but for the wrong reasons. And some films are memorable for multiple viewings. But then, why would I watch a movie more than once unless I thought it was pretty good? For example, The Wizard of Oz has been seen by me and nearly everyone else at least a hundred times. Is it memorable? Is it great? You bet, in both cases. Some people (not me, however) have seen Casablanca a hundred times. Is it great? You bet.

Which movies from my past are most memorable? Way back to Gunga Din and Sergeant York. Later, Three Faces of Eve, Singin’ in the Rain, On the Waterfront. All great? Yes. And now, in my seniority, The Reader, (500) Days of Summer, and Up in the Air. And guess what. Those last two just happened to star two people who star in my latest great film, 50/50.

Joseph Gordon Levitt plays Adam, the cancer victim in 50/50, and was the architect/greeting card writer in (500) Days of Summer, who said on a breakup card, after his girlfriend broke up with him, something like, “Fuck you, Bitch.”
And Anne Kendrick plays the therapist who tries to help him through his emotional crisis. She was Clooney’s slightly anal assistant on his flights to fire folks in Up in the Air. And Seth Rogen plays Adam's friend, playing the same role he always plays, Seth Rogen, with the yuck yuck laugh and the filthy mouth. Despite the downer of cancer, the film was an upper about life. Will I remember this film for a long time? You bet I will. If you haven’t yet seen it, do so. You’ll remember it too.

No comments:

Blog Archive