Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Saturday, February 11

Memory

The memory is a fickle beast. We remember some of our past in vivid detail and most of it without a clue, vast stretches of shimmering seascape. And even the vivid detail is often false, just scenes we’ve repainted to fit our eye. I go back to my sixteen months in Korea in my youth and it’s mostly a blur. For example, I know I had to eat at least two meals a day, but other than one Thanksgiving meal in 1953 where the cook had underdone the turkey, I can’t remember a single time ever going to the mess hall for a meal. Bloody turkey leg made it memorable, but that’s it. I remember when Pop Ferrer, our platoon sergeant, would cook a chicken on our pot-bellied stove, breaking the chicken into six parts and putting it in a pot with water and vegetables to simmer all day. Probably the best chicken I ever ate. But I don’t really remember ever eating any of it. I remember stretches of several weeks eating nothing but C-rations and assault rations when I and a bunker mate had to live in a bunker with our 20-power scope, checking out the front lines. But not a single memory of ever going through a mess line. I don’t remember ever being sick while I was in Korea. Nor do I remember anyone else ever being sick. I remember having a-p-c pills available for those times I might have felt woozy, but they invariable pulled me out of it. A-p-c pills, “all purpose cure” pills. I wonder what the army put in those pills. Probably some strong antibiotic along with some pain medication, something like morphine. Don’t quote me on that, but as I said, I don’t remember illness ever being an issue in Korea, not for me or anyone else. The army needs healthy warriors, not sickies. A fickle beast, the memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got me curious so I looked it up - the APC pills contained aspirin, phenacetin, and caffeine, and it turns out that long-term use was toxic (because phenacetin causes kidney damage and other bad stuff). Good thing you weren't sick too often!

Jerry Travis said...

Thanks so much for that information. It never occurred to me that I could do as you did, simply do a search of APC. I think I'll also learn more about phenacetin. Maybe it was the Korean agent orange.

Blog Archive