Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Sunday, January 11

Sunday Football & News Items

It’s halftime at the Packers/Cowboys game (with the hated Cowboys leading 14-10), so this is a good time to comment on some current news items.

First, it’s been confirmed that Tiger will indeed come to Phoenix for the golf tournament on Super Bowl weekend. Good. The record-setting attendance numbers will go even higher with his entry. He may not win it. He may not even make the cut. But I and a lot of other people will be attentive because we just have to see how he’s doing. Even the Tiger haters will be watching, hoping they can spot some nefarious rules infraction, then calling it in to the tournament authorities. Yeah, Tiger’s back.

A word or two about body art, or tattoos, or tats. I know how popular these things are right now, but I still can’t understand why anyone would want to cover almost every available area of his/her body with ink of every hue. This seems to be indicative of our egocentric society. “Look at me! Look at me!” It’s most noticeable in the NBA, and more with Blacks than Whites. My only question for the Black tatters: Why don’t you have them done with white ink? Wouldn’t they show up better? I guess it would be a matter of the degree of blackness on the skin being inked.

I can’t remember how many times I’ve said I’d never watch any more American Idols. Never, ever, ever. Well, their 14th season is now underway and—yes—I’m watching. I thought the Nicki Minaj/Mariah Carey duo would be fiasco enough for me. And if not them, then surely Steven Tyler was a one-man fiasco. Now we again have judges Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr., and Keith Urban, and except for Keith and JLo’s head-bobbing during performances, this crew is probably the best ever set of Idol judges. And finally the Idol producers decided not to showcase any idiots in their audition shows. Than you, Idol. The quality of most of those auditioning also seems better than in past seasons. Will we see another Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry, Adam Lambert, Jordin Sparks, or Katherine McPhee this year? I hope so.

A final comment about the singing of the National Anthem before the Packers/Cowboys game. Noelle Scaggs of the musical group Fitz & The Tantrums did the singing. Well, it would be hard to call what she did singing. I’ve heard our Anthem sung and played in many different ways ranging from bad to good to really good (Remember what Whitney Houston did before Super Bowl XXV?). Ms. Scaggs version has to be one of the worst Anthems of all, ranking in rankness right up there with Roseanne Barr’s crotch-grabbing version and Steven Tyler’s screaming mis-wording version.

And, YAY! The Packers won in chilly Lambeau Field.

No comments:

Blog Archive