Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Saturday, January 30

Esquire


Guess what I found while rummaging around in my garage. A 37-year-old copy of Esquire that I'd been saving for some strange reason. It's the Fortieth Anniversary Issue, just over 500 pages long and containing articles and stories by nearly all the major American writers of the Twentieth Century--Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Hemingway, Theodore Dreiser, John Dos Passos, James Baldwin, Dorothy Parker, Sinclair Lewis, Saul Bellow, Thomas Wolfe, H. L. Mencken, Damon Runyon, Ralph Ellison, Tennessee Williams, Ray Bradbury, John Updike, John O'Hara, Philip Roth, and Truman Capote. You might try to identify some or all of those people who appear on the front cover, the three most obvious being Hemingway second from left, Fitzgerald taking a drink from the waiter, and Capote in his oh so neat white suit and hat. I find it a little odd that of the thirty-nine people on their cover, only two are women--Nora Ephron and Dorothy Parker. I guess I must have first obtained this issue of Esquire to use in my American lit classes and then kept it all these years as a curiosity piece that could someday be worth a lot of money. Hah! And just what market would I go to for the sale of this item? I don't know. Maybe on E-Bay where some fool just like me would buy it for five bucks. Or not. I guess, instead, I'll just include it with the books I'm taking to Dysart High School.

No comments:

Blog Archive