Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Friday, October 29

Texting, Politics, & a Pun

Dear Amy,

I spotted a short news article the other day, about a man and his 4-year-old son ramming into a train stopped at a crossing. Right through the barrier arms, lights flashing, warning bells clanging, into the side of the train. Rescuers had to cut them out of the car. How could the man have driven into a parked train, you ask? Right, he was too busy texting to notice. I wonder what he’ll tell his son one day, maybe on the day he gets released from prison: “Oh, yeah, well, see, son, it was really important.” I hope they throw the book at him.

I must be politically naïve . . . or maybe just stupid. Why can’t we regulate the amount of money spent on any campaign on both a national as well as a state level, make the amount small enough that no candidate would want to waste money on the sort of attack ads we now see . . . over and over again. Why should elections now be decided by the amount of money candidates can raise instead of on their stand on issues? A billionaire doofus can now buy a seat in congress if he’s willing to spend most of his fortune. I’m certainly glad Ben Quayle isn’t a billionaire. Oh, yeah, he’s a doofus, but not a rich doofus.

Pun time: A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel, and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of his office and asked them to disperse. “But why?” one of them asked as they moved off. “Because,” he said, “I can’t stand chess-nuts boasting in an open foyer.

Whoa! Sorry about that, Amy.

Love, Jerry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Jerry...
Actually, the pun was quite clever!
Annie and I went to see "Hereafter" last night and are now fighting over who loves Matt Damon more!!? We both really liked it and it sparked conversation all the way home. The tsunami was amazing...it was so graphic, you could feel it. The young boy was amazing and I did like all of the main characters, unlike "Social Network". I just had to call our local theater to see if I can get Annie and her friend in to see "Paranormal Activity" today...I can walk them to the window and thank God don't have to see it with them. I'm handing out treats from 2 til 5 and then will hit the couch for a few hours with a book. Housework is done and I need to relax before work tomorrow.
Yes, I will vote on Tuesday, but like you, I am so tired of the attack ads....they actually just take up valuable commercial time!! I've made my choices and the ads don't sway me one bit...they just really irritate me!
Love you....
Amy

Blog Archive