Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Thursday, January 14

Black/White & Kitty Title

I don’t think anyone who knows me would ever accuse me of being a bigot, a racist, a redneck. However, I, like almost everyone else who watches a lot of sports, wonder why so many college and NFL football players are black. Are they more athletically gifted than white players? Are they racially equipped with physical and mental abilities not found in white athletes? Or are they simply more motivated than white players? The most recent census shows our nation to be 67% white to 13% black. NFL stats show 68% black to 28% white. Whew! Sixty-eight percent of NFL players come from only 13% of the population. That’s a huge difference. It’s about the same in the NBA—75% black, 23% white. What accounts for that disparity? Discounting the argument that blacks are better athletes as silly, I’m left with desire, motivation, and expectation as the only reasonable explanation. Black kids often come from lower income families and see athletic success as a way to achieve financial success, to climb higher on the social ladder than that of their parents or grandparents. They also view successful black athletes and simply expect that they too might be athletically better than white athletes. Or maybe this is all hogwash and they really do have an extra tendon in their calves that allows them to run faster and jump higher than their white counterparts. Nah! That last reason is just plain silly and was discounted years ago.

Last night I had an odd thought somewhere in that 3:00 a.m. wasteland: If I’m fonder of cats than dogs, how could I change my blog title from Doggy-Dog World to something similar about cats? I thought of Cataclysmic World, and that led me to Kittyclysmic World, then Kittyclawsmic World. Will I switch blog titles? No, I already have a blog I call The Caterwaul. But it’s an interesting thought.

No comments:

Blog Archive