Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Saturday, August 21

Big-Little Books

The days are flying by like the old movable comics when you’d flip the corners of the pages in a big-little book and watch the character do his thing. Big-little books. I wonder who even remembers what they were. They were about 3” x 3” printed on cheap pulp paper with a cardboard cover and back, maybe 100 to 150 pages. I can’t for the life of me remember what kind of stories they contained. Probably nothing very good. Maybe cheap Westerns or Sci-fi like Flash Gordon. I wonder what one would be worth now.

So I went searching on line and found: "A Big Little Book was typically 3⅝″ wide and 4½″ high, with 212 to 432 pages making an approximate thickness of 1½″. The interior book design usually displayed full-page black-and-white illustrations on the right side, facing the pages of text on the left. Stories were often related to radio programs (The Shadow), comic strips (The Gumps), children's books (Uncle Wiggily), novels (John Carter of Mars) and movies (Bambi). Later books of the series had interior color illustrations. First published in December 1932."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our Sun City West library has Big-Little books on display this week. About 15-20 books.

Blog Archive