Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Sunday, August 22

Joey & Last Meal

I had nothing much to watch on tv the other afternoon, so I turned on an old Friends episode. Joey was going to tell Rachel about his feelings for her, and he kept rehearsing the words: “I’m falling in love with you.” That struck me as false. How many levels can one come up with when telling someone you like them as more than a friend? It's like that Bud Lite commercial where the man talks about how much he loves that beer, but he can't bring himself to say the same things about the woman next to him. The honest and most straightforward way is to say, “I love you.” Then it starts tapering off: “I’m in love with you,” Joey’s “I’m falling in love with you,” “I’m beginning to fall in love with you,” “I think I’m beginning to fall in love with you.” Each level is further away from a commitment. Jesus, Joey, just tell Rachel you love her!

As I was eating a piece of Florencia’s sausage/pepperoni deep dish pizza, I thought about what exactly I’d ask for if I were going to be executed and I had a shot at my last meal. It struck me that I’d want to include pizza. Along with a ribeye and some lobster. Forget the veggies or the salad—steak, lobster, pizza. Oh yeah, and a chocolate shake for dessert. And then I thought about how I’d feel if it really was my last meal before someone killed me. Would I even be able to swallow? Probably not. However, at this (not my last) meal, like a shark in a feeding frenzy, I had no problem swallowing three lovely slices of pizza.

No comments:

Blog Archive