Translate

My books can be purchased as e-books for only $1.99. If interested, just click here: Books.
Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page.
My newest novel, Happy Valley, can be found here.

Friday, September 18

What's in a name? As I was reading the weekly newspaper from my hometown, Mobridge, South Dakota, a very small village located on the east bank of the Missouri River, now a huge body of water known as the Oahe Reservoir, I was struck by the number of last names of many native American residents of Mobridge, struck by the unusual qualities of those names, often the beauty of them. I read about Jake Takes the Gun, Samuel Takes the Knife, Labre Afraid of Hawk, Cheryl Long Feather, Fabian Comes Flying, Mark Iron Wing, Orivile Marrow Bone, Athea Little Bear, Franklin Red Bear, Keith Looking Back, Joy Circles Eagle, Justin Flying Horse, Luke End of Horn, Thomas Iron Moccasin, Cory Yellow Ear Rings. And the name of a young man who is the Standing Rock Tribal Chairman, Ron His Horse Is Thunder. His is a name I not only admire but also envy for its beauty and poetic imagery. How does one live up to a name like that?

Blog Archive

Any comments? Write me at jertrav33@aol.com