Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Wednesday, December 28

Stereograms

Just before I retired from teaching, I had a class of “difficult” students, the kind that weren’t interested in anything I had to teach and didn’t want to listen to anything I had to say. I can’t remember where I got it, but I had a calendar with pictures that were called stereograms. I brought it in and had my students look at them, to see if they could figure out what made them tick. When they finally saw what was there, they were amazed. I’d forgotten all about them until they were mentioned in one of the Dick Francis books I’ve been reading. So I went on-line and sure enough, there they were. I still can’t quite figure out why they work, but work they do. And the more often one looks at the images, the easier it becomes to call them up. If you look at the center of the image and then sort of let the eyes glaze over, a bit like crossing the eyes, a three-dimensional image will appear. Amazing.

This stereogram has an inset eyeball in black and white. What is so surprising is that the outer image contains colors, but they don’t show up in the 3-d image.

My search also took me to the more common optical illusions, such as the one below.

After careful study, the viewer will find twelve faces or human figures. Can you find them all?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes!! stereograms there are very nice, specially when you try and and try to make. and when you are a beginner its hard, maybe you should try is not many serious artist around.

Blog Archive