Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Monday, November 22

Sting Love

Years ago I bought a Sting album and I never really listened to it until one of the songs got popular enough to be played with some regularity on the radio—“Fields of Gold”—and I fell in love with it. So today I listened to the whole album looking at the lyrics. Oh, my, was it ever good. It’s called Ten Summoner’s Tales and all the songs seem to be related in that they tell stories of people set in some kind of magical Middle Ages. Great music and vocals, but excellent lyrics. I not only want to be able to sing them like he does, I wish I’d written them. For example, here are the lyrics to “Fields of Gold”:

You’ll remember me when the west wind moves, Upon the fields of barley. You’ll forget the sun in his jealous sky, As we walk in fields of gold.

So she took her love, for to gaze awhile, Upon the fields of barley. In his arms she fell as her hair came down, Among the fields of gold.

Will you stay with me, will you be my love. Among the fields of barley? We’ll forget the sun in his jealous sky, As we lie in fields of gold.

See the west wind move like a lover so, Upon the fields of barley. Feel her body rise, when you kiss her mouth, Among the fields of gold.

I never made promises lightly, And there have been some that I’ve broken, But I swear in the days still left, We’ll walk in fields of gold, We’ll walk in fields of gold.

Many years have passed since those summer days, Among the fields of barley. See the children run as the sun goes down, Among the fields of gold.

You’ll remember me when the west wind moves Upon the fields of barley. You can tell the sun in his jealous sky, When we walked in fields of gold, When we walked in fields of gold, When we walked in fields of gold.

Isn’t that something? It’s all about romantic love and the passage of time, and how that love gets lost, or just grows old, whatever. I’m such a sucker for romantic love. I’m not at all sure that that isn’t the one thing that makes life worthwhile—romantic love, and even the nostalgic feeling of lost or unrequited love. It’s better than sex, sex is so short-term, but romantic love makes life worthwhile while most of life isn’t worth all that much, not nearly as much as the gold in those fields as the sun goes down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey my Favorite Uncle,
Sting has always been one of my favorites...Rick and I saw him in 1984 when I feel he was at his best. I still have my ticket stub! Google up this song with Sheryl Crow...."Always on My Side" This is one of my favorites and the lyrics are great.
Love you and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Amy


But is there someplace far away, someplace where all is clear
Easy to start over with the ones you hold so dear
Or are you left to wonder, all alone, eternally
This isn't how it's really meant to be
No it isn't how it's really meant to be

Well they say that love is in the air, but never is it clear,
How to pull it close and make it stay
Butterflies are free to fly, and so they fly away
And I'm left to carry on and wonder why
Even through it all, I'm always on your side

Blog Archive