Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Tuesday, November 16

Technology

In this year’s Christmas letter I wrote about all the technological possibilities in the next ten years. It never occurred to me to mention flight like you see in the photo below. I’d never heard of such a thing as jet wings until I saw this in a recent National Geographic. Man has always desired to fly like a bird, trying all kinds of crazy methods, right from Icarus and his wax wings that melted on him to the Wright boys at Kitty Hawk to the present-day tiny ultra-lights. But plane flight isn’t quite the same dream as flying like a bird with only wing-like arms to sustain one. I remember not long ago seeing on a Sixty Minutes segment the crazies who jumped from mountain tops to sail down cliff walls frighteningly fast, like para-gliders, nylon wings from arms to hips. But as you can see in the photo, this is truly Iron-Man technology.



And in the same magazine, they spoke of the fastest automobile, capable of going over a thousand miles an hour. Whoa! How could a car going that fast even keep tires on the surface? I’d think it would just go airborne for a thousand yards at a time, sort of bouncing along like a grasshopper.



 

We’ll see such wonders in the near future as we can’t even dream them.


No comments:

Blog Archive