Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Monday, November 14

Christmas & Tower Heist

“Christmas is icumen in, Lhude sing cuccu!” Forgive me for stealing a bit of Middle English to make a point. Here we are, only a bit into November and already we’re besieged with Christmas songs on the radio and television, ads prompting us to shop early for all that stuff we invariably buy for friends and relatives to put in some dark cupboard with other stuff from other years, never to be seen or used. And WalMart and KMart and Sears are joyously telling us we can use their layaway plans, so that in these tough times we can pay for our purchases a little at a time. Kinda like shopping with a credit card. Lhude sing cuccu! Cookoo, indeed. Every year, it seems, we begin this Christmas rite earlier and earlier. What we need are some Thanksgiving carols. And legislation that no one can begin pushing the Christmas season until after Thanksgivng.

I went to see Tower Heist and wished I’d stayed home. What a forgettable flick. Everybody, including me, wanted to see the old Eddie Murphy, you know, the funny one, and we all, including me, were disappointed. He and Ben Stiller could have made this better, but both seemed to be happy just getting through it and on to some better film project. This Wednesday (only two days from now), The Descendents opens, with George Clooney. Can’t wait. George has never disappointed me.

And if Rick Perry had three feet, he'd find some way to get all three in his mouth at the same time. It must be a Texas thing.

No comments:

Blog Archive