Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Friday, November 11

Mike's Bistro

Live and learn. You’d think at my age I’d be all done with learning, but I just keep making mistakes in judgment. Last night I talked Rosalie into dining out, at a place I knew from years ago when we went there for the annual Ace Christmas party, what I thought was Michael’s, a nice Italian restaurant. And I wanted a nice Italian piece of lasagna. Michael’s was newly located in a shopping area near Sprouts. We had to drive around a bit before we located it, Mike’s Bistro, no longer Michael's. A quiet alarm but I wasn't listening. We parked, we went in. But instead of a real restaurant, it looked like a small takeout joint—about ten tables covered in alternating green and red-checked plastic tablecloths, the lights bright above. My idea of anti-ambiance. There was Greek music pouring out of several speakers. That should have been my second clue that something was wrong. We sat at a green-topped table, three other couples sitting nearby. A fat, greasy, gray-haired man wearing a grease-stained apron over a tattered gray T-shirt and wrinkled jeans gave us menus, one sheet of light printer paper triple-folded. Fancy. There was only the fat man and one woman, in jeans and sweater, waiting on the tables. The beverages available were sodas from a nearby soda/ice dispenser or water. We chose water. We both decided we’d have the four-cheese chicken lasagna for $9.95. Fat man informed us there was only one piece left, this at 5:30. So Rosalie ordered the spaghetti and sausage and I the one piece left. We also asked for Caesar salads (extra at $2.99). We got our not so good salads with a basket of garlic bread. A couple came in, looked around briefly, then went right back out. They must have been a lot smarter than we were. Then we were served, the lasagna and the spaghetti, in deep dishes. My lasagna was unlike any I’d ever seen before, a pale square smothered in white/yellow cheese sauce, nary a hint of tomato sauce. I managed to eat about a third of it, never once discovering any chicken, before I said “enough.” Rosalie ate most of her spaghetti, declaring it not nearly as good as what she made at home. A bistro, according to Wikipedia, is a small restaurant serving moderately priced simple meals in a modest setting. I think Mike took that definition to the extreme. Modest setting, indeed. Our bill was just over $25, not exactly what I'd call moderate for the meal we got. I only wish we’d had sense enough to make a quick exit like the couple we saw doing the U-turn. Live and learn.

No comments:

Blog Archive