Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Monday, January 2

New Year Obligations

Today was a day for putting away all the Christmas decorations, for beginning resolutions, for deciding what we were going to do about our Dusty, our poor old bag of bones who just keeps going downhill. Rosalie spent the morning putting stuff away and getting the house in order. And I mostly just stayed out of her way. But I did figure out what to do with the framed print we got from sister Bonnie. I moved the Sitting Bull picture and the tomahawk and peace pipe to a spot near the patio door. Some might wonder where we got an authentic tommahawk and peace pipe. They belonged to Rosalie's father, Bill Zimmer, who got them from somewhere on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation early in the twentieth century.

Then I put the print where Sitting Bull used to be. It’s such a large thing and we seem to have run out of blank walls. It’s a 29 x 18 print in a 39 x 28 frame, called “At the Crossing” by artist Jim Hansel.
We have no idea what it might be worth, but it looks good on our wall. Then I went to the Fitness Center at Beardsley Rec Center and spent some time trying to figure out all the machines. I felt silly trying to set the seats and weights correctly and then do the exercises. I guess I’ll have to sign up for a personal trainer to show me what to do. Then I went to the animal hospital to arrange for what I didn’t want to arrange, the paperwork and payment for euthanasia and cremation for Dusty. I set it up for Tuesday morning. And, oh, how painful that’s going to be. But it would be too selfish of us to keep him any longer. Quality of life is what determines when that times comes, for pets as well as owners, and his life has had no quality for these past six months. So, we’ll do it. And we’ll weep at what we’ve lost. And then we’ll go to Four Paws and bring back two kittens to replace Dusty, two new buddies for Squeakie to look after.

No comments:

Blog Archive