Translate

Most of what I've written has been published as e-books and is available at Amazon. Match Play is a golf/suspense novel. Dust of Autumn is a bloody one set in upstate New York. Prairie View is set in South Dakota, with a final scene atop Rattlesnake Butte. Life in the Arbor is a children's book about Rollie Rabbit and his friends (on about a fourth grade level). The Black Widow involves an elaborate extortion scheme. Happy Valley is set in a retirement community. Doggy-Dog World is my memoir. And ES3 is a description of my method for examining English sentence structure.
In case anyone is interested in any of my past posts, an archive list can be found at the bottom of this page. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have by sending me an e-mail note--jertrav33@aol.com. Thanks for your interest.

Friday, May 18

Mockingjay

My Stories (Anyone interested in reading any of my stories, click here.)

I just finished Mockingjay, the third in the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this trilogy, especially Mockingjay. I'm an old science fiction fan, and I've read nearly every dystopian novel out there. But not even Orwell's 1984 is as dark as this Panem world Collins has created. She portrays the citizens of the Capitol as pampered, self-centered, and thoughtless; the leaders, especially President Snow, as cruel and power-hungry and insensitive. And all the action scenes during the games and the battles in Mockingjay are so very bloody and awful. I don't know why so many young adult readers have been so captivated by these books, but they certainly have been. I guess they admire the few who are admirable--Katniss and Peeta and Gale--and in them they find hope for the future of the United States as well as the future of the fictional Panem. If you haven't yet read this trilogy, you should. It's a remarkable story.

No comments:

Blog Archive